For some time, I'd been looking for a cheaper way to send Twitter updates. Without a Philippine SMS center, each update via SMS message to Twitter's UK number costs me around P15 per message.
It was therefore hard to contain my excitement when I finally figured out how to use the Twapper feature in 30boxes Mobile to send my tweets. By my back-of-the-envelope estimates, it costs around P4.50 per update when I use Twapper.
That computation is based on the following assumptions (please feel free to correct my math):
- I transfer roughly 8 to 12 kb of data each time I load my Twapper page (without images), according to my Treo's web browser.
- Let's just use 15kb per page refresh to be on the safe side.
- I typically load the page twice whenever I post:
- To access the form for posting, and
- When the page refreshes to let me know if the update is successful.
Caveat: this computation does not yet factor in all the typical post-paid billing adjustments (currency adjustment, VAT, etc.) that will, of course, apply.