Monday, May 21, 2007

What's in a name?

I've been following Molly E. Holzschlag for a while and was struck by a recent entry on her blog entitled How Private Are You?

I haven't figured out the answer to that question yet, but I'd like to think that privacy isn't dead for me, at least not yet.

* * *

A few months ago, I asked an old acquaintance whether or not he had a blog, and his response was a firm "No," adding that he had been burned early on by being way too public with his life.

Personally, I think it's a shame since he's an interesting chap with thought-provoking insights about tech matters. But I do understand why he's now more careful with his online presence.

* * *

Frankly, I'm content right now to participate in various online conversations in the blogosphere with nothing more than my tacky little M-logo as my avatar.

I may not have a full name publicly linked to that logo, but that little image gives me a consistent identity. That identity in turn allows me to comment and post my thoughts and opinions without worrying about any of it reflecting on my employer or my family. That's a good feeling.

I suppose some folks will contend that blogging this way means I don't own my own words; I'm not enlightened enough to know whether or not that's true. But since I'm blogging for myself right now, I won't lose any sleep over this particular question.

Either way, I'm glad that my real-life friends who know about this blog are kind enough to let me do things this way.

1 comments:

the nut said...

mdy, Awesome! thanks for taking the time to write up these notes. They are super helpful for me, and hopefully for your readers too!